Boycotts can be remembered for years

Editor, the Advocate:

RE: the Austwell-Tivoli Junior High boycott

A similar situation happened when I was a senior in high school 46 years ago. It seems several of the students became disgruntled at a change made in the cafeteria, so they planned to make a statement by boycotting the cafeteria. Word spread rapidly, and the next day, most of the students brought their sack lunches to school.

Alas, the students did not get the reaction they were hoping for. As a matter of fact, it was the exact opposite of the reaction that the Austwell-Tivoli Junior High School students are getting.

The boycott had taken its financial toll on the school's tight budget.

The principal called a General Assembly, and tearfully informed the students of how destructive their actions had been. As a result, the Student Council sponsored fundraisers to help defray the costs; but, regrettably, the respect and trust that the teachers previously had for their students were damaged. It was a painful lesson learned on misusing an otherwise useful tool.

By the way, last summer, I ran into one of my old teachers (one I had not seen since graduation), and guess what she brought up - that boycott!

That painful experience still lingers in her memory.

Joan Moritz, Victoria