Local elected vice president of national organization

Bob McCan, with McFaddin Enterprises, was just selected vice president of the National Cattlemen's Beef Association.

The Crossroads cattle industry now has a hometown guy on the national level.

McFaddin native Bob McCan was elected vice president of the National Cattlemen's Beef Association at the organization's annual meeting in Nashville, Tenn.

The fifth-generation cattle rancher grew up on the McFaddin Ranch, about 20 miles south of Victoria. He serves as general manager for McFaddin Enterprises and is past president of the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association.

He said he was honored to take on the national role.

"I think it's a great time for the beef industry," he said, noting good markets, prices and international export opportunities. "There are always a lot of looming pitfalls that ... we have to defend against, but there's a lot of positive energy in the beef industry."

The national organization has two specific issues it hopes to tackle this year, McCan said.

First is elimination of estate taxes for farmers and ranchers, he said, noting it's important to preserve land and reduce fragmentation. That doesn't happen when families must sell off land after a loved one's death to cover taxes, he said.

Environmental over-regulation from the Environmental Protection Agency is another key issue, McCan said.

"We're vigilant on making sure all of the regulations are going to be based on sound science and are not going to be too burdensome on ag producers," he said.

McCan, 54, is a leader in the state's cattle industry and will represent cattle raisers at the national level well, Joe Parker Jr., the cattle raiser association's president, said in a news release.

"Bob's knowledge of the cattle industry, both in the United States and internationally, will be a huge advantage as U.S. cattle raisers look to open more foreign markets for U.S. beef and battle over reaching government regulations," he said in the release.

McCan's new work might take him out of town from time to time - he makes his way to Washington, D.C., in April - but he said his home base will remain in the Crossroads.

"I'm kind of looking forward to getting to meet cattle producers across the country," he said. "I'm very excited about the position I'm taking on."