First baby of 2012 makes early arrival

Jalayna Rae Licon was born to Jacob Licon and Heather Trevino Sunday, Jan. 1, 2012 in Victoria. She is the first baby born in the new year in Victoria.
  • FAMOUS JAN. 1 BIRTHDAYS

• Paul RevereBetsy RossJ. Edgar HooverBarry GoldwaterJ.D. SalignerFrank LangellaVerne TroyerSource: famousbirthdays.com

Jalayna Rae Licon made a surprise entry into the world as the first baby of 2012 - more than two weeks before her due date.

The baby's mother Heather Trevino, 22, has been hospitalized at DeTar Hospital for the last three weeks because of medical complications, said the baby's father Jacob Ray Licon, 20, but a cesarean section was scheduled for Jan. 17.

"This whole pregnancy, Jalayna has been fighting for her life," Licon said. "She was originally a twin, but we lost the other one early on."

Sunday morning, Trevino started having contractions, so the C-section was moved from Jan. 17 to 2 p.m. Sunday.

Trevino's mother, Candy Saunders, and Licon's mother, Josie Rodriguez-Galindo, and his step-father, Leo Galindo III, came to the hospital for the birth.

Jalayna Rae was born at 2:39 p.m., weighing 5 pounds 1 ounce. She was 18 1/21/2 inches long.

Trevino, received a blood transfusion and a hysterectomy after the C-section.

"I'm in a lot of pain, but I'm glad it's all over with," Trevino said.

Licon and Trevino, both of Cuero, have known each other for about as long as they could remember.

They didn't really talk or hang out though, Licon said.

"Then one day, she called me, just to see what I was up to, and I saved her number," Licon said. "Then we just sort of clicked."

Valentine's Day will mark the first anniversary of the couple officially dating.

"And yes, the baby was planned," Licon said, with a smile.

The family has been decorating and preparing a place for Jalayna Rae to live for several weeks, but they just moved the crib inside on Saturday, Rodriguez-Galindo said.

"We are decorating with pink and chocolate brown," Rodriguez-Galindo said.

The couple has tentative plans to get married on their one year anniversary in February.

Licon works for the City of Cuero Parks Department.

This is Trevino's fourth child. Two of her children live with her mother in Victoria, and one lives with her father in Cuero.

Jalayna Rae was named by Rodriguez-Galindo.

"I thought it should be something both pretty and different," Rodriguez-Galindo said. "I was so excited Heather went with the name that I picked."

Trevino liked the name because her daughter will have the same initials as Licon.

Jalayna Rae is Rodriguez-Galindo's second grandchild.

"She's my first granddaughter. I have a grandson, and two more grandchildren on the way," Rodriguez-Galindo said.

Right after the C-section, Trevino got to hold her daughter, kiss and talk to her for a few minutes before she went into the incubator.

As of 8 p.m. Licon had not been able to hold her.

"This is my first kid, and I'm really excited," Licon said. "I can't wait until she turns like 4 or 5. I'm gonna take her to Disneyland."