Oceans For Emotions: The best me I can be

"And God saw every thing He had made, and, behold it was very good."

- Genesis 1:21

Happy New Year. Time for New Year's resolutions. I think I'll just decide to keep the ones I had last year and the year before because I still haven't met them yet. Because of that lack of accomplishments, I've decided not to make any New Year's resolutions.

I will just decide to be the best me I can be.

I was sitting on the beach front, meditating, when I looked around me at the perfect world that God had made. I came upon the resolution to just be a good me, and maybe God would look down upon me and say that I also was very good, just like the rest of the world he had created.

I saw the ocean rolling right in front of me just like it was over three-fourths of the face of the Earth, and it seemed so happy just to roll away and even reach up and wave a friendly wave at me. I sang to it: "Hello, ocean, my old friend, I've come to talk to you again." And I asked friend ocean, "If you could be anything you wanted to be, what would you be?" And ocean just answered, "Me, the ocean. Why not? There is nothing bigger or better."

I saw the sky whose setting sun was causing it to blush before it was getting ready to go to bed, and I asked, "Sky, if you weren't the sky, what would you like to be?" It said, "I wouldn't change my position for anything in the world. I get to cover the people in heaven all at the same time and reach every shore and inlet. I am the path God will take when he comes again."

I saw the beach and asked: "If you could be anything you wanted to be, what would you be?" The beach, that has cradled and carried me the last 75 years, laughed and said, "Would you still love me if I was made out of cement? Your footprints, Elaine, are left upon my sands as you found your way in life. I was always glad to support you and all of God's people. "I am happy with the role I play."

Dear Lord, "I, too, am happy being part of your sea world. I can't imagine me being a prima ballerina, a brain surgeon, a lawyer, or of all things, a crabber. I'll just go on trying to be the best me I can be, and that's going to take a lot of help from you, Lord."