You agree to abide by the terms of this agreement whenever you use this Web site’s user-contribution features, including comments, blogs, or any other feature.
Blogs, blog entries and comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them.
Please read this agreement in its entirety because it contains information that will help you understand the rules and general "good manners" that are expected when contributing content to this Web site.Commenting guidelines
1. Following the guidelines used by the St. Louis Post Dispatch, and adapted by blogger Shel Israel, we use the "Living Room Rule." If we invite you to our home and you are rude to our guests, we will ask you to stop. If you continue, you will be asked to leave. The living room rule means that you should behave as if you're in our living room. Be civil and do not attack people personally. Treat people as you'd want to be treated.
2. No whining. Moderating comments on our site is not censorship. Moderation is allowed on our site, and to quote the guidelines from the St. Louis Post Dispatch, "it can and will be subjective." If a comment is deleted and you have a question, contact the moderators directly at email@example.com. Comments asking why a comment was deleted, or complaining about our moderation policy will be removed.
Please be aware that we DO NOT review every contribution made on this Web site. More than likely, you will see user contributions before anyone on staff here does. This may include information and opinions from a variety of individuals and organizations other than official content from this Web site and its staff.
We reserve the right (but assume no obligation) to remove any and/or all of your contributions. If you become a problem for us or our site's other users we may ban you from using our services and Web sites.Users may not:
Make potentially slanderous or libelous comments when using this site and its features, or engage in ad hominem attacks on fellow commenters, people mentioned in stories, contributors or any employee of the Victoria Advocate.About your posts:
- Contributions must be civil and tasteful, not mean-spirited or contributed with the intention of causing trouble.
- No personal attacks, name-calling, stalking or harassing another user.
- Your posts must not be offensive, defamatory, obscene, harmful, vulgar, threatening, tortuous, harassing, abusive, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful or contain otherwise illegal material.
- No instigating or encouraging others to commit illegal activities or cause injury or property damage to any person.
- Do not use ethnic or racial slurs, or attacks against someone for their sexual orientation or religion
- Do not to upload, post, distribute, e-mail or otherwise publish or make available any comments that are derogatory of others on the basis of gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual preference or disability.
- Do not threaten violence against anyone
- No stating of unsubstantiated information as fact.
- No profanity or vulgar language (even when typographically obfuscated).
- Stay on topic. No uploading or posting any off-topic or irrelevant material.
- No spamming or off-topic material: we don't allow the submission of the same or very similar contributions many times. Please don't re-submit your contribution to more than one discussion, or contribute off-topic material in subject-specific areas.
- No flooding of comments or blogs. Please limit your blog postings to one every 6 hours.
- You agree not to advertise or not to solicit anyone to buy or sell products or services or to make donations of any kind, without our express written approval.
- URLs (web site addresses) can only be posted if allowed under any relevant local house rules.
About your account on VictoriaAdvocate.com:
We may ban any user, or delete any post, or take any action with regard to this Website's user submitted content.Usernames
Each user may have only one username. If you would like to change your username, please e-mail us. Use or possession of multiple usernames may result in our banning your user account or accounts.Offensive usernames
Your account may not contain usernames which are offensive or objectionable, even those which utilize typographical obfuscations. We reserve the right to remove postings from usernames which themselves might be considered objectionable. We also reserve the right to ban accounts with usernames which are in themselves objectionable.Disruptive usernames
Usernames created with the sole purpose of attacking other users, people mentioned in Victoria Advocate articles, or members of the Advocate staff are not allowed. We reserve the right to ban these accounts with no warning.Misleading usernames
Usernames created to give the impression a person is a member of Victoria Advocate staff, or is impersonating an individual are not allowed.User privacy
Users agree not to knowingly give out any private information about other users. Users who engage in the behavior of continually trying to guess other user's private information or IP address may be banned and their account and contributions removed.Avatars
The same criteria for usernames also applies for user avatars. In addition, images must be images for which the user holds the copyright or has the permission of the copyright holder to use. The images must not contain any graphic images and must meet common standards of decency. If the images do not meet those standards or are a violation of copyright, we reserve the right to remove images without notice. Repeated use of avatars in violation of our policy will result in the users account being banned from our Web site.Banning
We retain the right to revoke access privileges of anyone who we believe has violated any of the terms outlined here or if such user is deemed a problem to either the site or its other users. We also reserve the right to ban any user and prevent his or her comments from showing up on this Website, without notice. Banned members found creating additional accounts will be banned.