Blogs » Digital Babble » Texting while walking, is it safe?

Subscribe

We all know the dangers of texting while driving, but what about texting while walking?

New York filmmaker Casey Neistat addresses the topic of texting while walking in a short film he made, which was posted on the New York Times as an opinion-documentary.(Via LaughingSquid.com)

According to Neistat, "more than 1,000 pedestrians visited emergency rooms in 2008 after they were injured while using a cellphone to talk or text. That had doubled each year since 2006, according to a study conducted by Ohio State University."

So what is the proper etiquette to send a text while walking?

According to Neistat's example in his film "putting your back against a wall and standing in one place while you text" is the proper technique.

You can watch Casey Neistat's humorous video here on YouTube:

How many of you have been guilty of this activity?

I'll admit it, I have walked while typing out text messages. I'm not proud of it and I'm trying to stop. I try not to be obnoxious about it, nor do I force others to "yield while I get my text on." I also have never run into a building, parked car or parking meter while walking and texting. No, I've never done that. But still, I probably should stop, text, then walk when I'm finished.