Blogs » The Grapevine » And so I face the final curtain...

Subscribe

For those of you who don't know, tomorrow (Friday) is my last day at the Advocate. Steve and I are hitting the road back to Missouri so he can pursue a degree and career in teaching. But before you go joining the legions of Victorians trying to persuade us to stay, here is a list of (controversial) blog posts I didn't have time to write.

Titled "Why do you care what I do," this post would have been about asking why people want to impede on my rights. What is it to anyone else if, after proper training and permits, I carry a gun? Or if I marry my girlfriend and serve in the military? Does my happiness and safety seriously keep you up at night and affect your life at all? Don't get me started on rights to my own body.

The next post, titled "Worry about your own salvation," would educate others about how my choice to not believe in the Christian god does not make me evil or corrupt. I, personally, respect those who have strong beliefs and conviction and am happy they find solace and peace in their religion. I don't, however, respect those who try to force their ideology on me under the guise of saving my soul. You don't have to be worried about me. I may not be a Christian, but that doesn't mean I'm a terrible person and it doesn't mean I'm not a spiritual person. In fact, recently I've been studying the Tao Te Ching and have found a mountain of spiritualism and peace there.

Lastly, I'll leave you with one that is not so controversial - "Those customer service skills need work." This sincerely has been one of the worst places I've lived in terms of customer service. Fast food restaurants take 10 minutes or more to get your food out. A local car wash owner insinuated that my gender prevented me from understanding how to use his facility after I challenged its soundness. (I refused to drive my expensive car into an automatic wash that has stray pipes laying in the middle) And people in the service industry here are just generally rude and unhelpful, in my experience, even though my business is keeping them employed. What is that about?!

Unfortunately, I did not have the time to facilitate any kind of constructive conversation about these topics, instead you get one side of the argument - mine. Sorry for that, but I bet it did change your mind about wanting me to stay. And that's OK.

Anyway, take care! Goodnight and good luck.