Blogs » To venus and back » A view from the floor, looking up


Have you ever had something happen to you that it has stopped you in your tracks? Well, that happened to me on Monday.

As I told you all last week, the Matagorda Advocate is moving. We have been busy packing, throwing away and sorting through so many things at the office; it’s exhausting just talking about it and I, for one, am counting the days for all this to end so we can go back to normal.

Did I also mention that the entire move has to been done before I leave for the key executive’s mega conference I am attending in San Antonio next week? This is a conference I will be attending as part of my Inland Press Association fellowship. I am considering this my mini vacation; words cannot express how much I am looking forward to this.

But before I can pack my bags and set out into the sunset, there’s an entire office to move.

These couple of weeks I have been in cruise control, working ahead, getting everything ready, but what happened on Monday halted my plans to continue full throttle.

I had received a call from a customer stating he was coming in to town and if he could possibly purchase a Sunday paper of the Victoria Advocate. “Sure we have some,” I told the man. “Thanks, I will be there in an hour.”

So off I went to the back of the building, getting the bundles of Sunday papers.

Then the phone started ringing.

I got both bundles of papers in each hand and off I went walking toward the phone.

I can’t run I thought, maybe I will walk a little faster.

And before I could answer the phone, I was on the floor.

“What happened?” I thought to myself.

Here I was holding a bundle of newspapers in my right hand, the phone kept ringing and I was on the floor covered in dust.

Remember the Matagorda Advocate flood of 2012? We had to remove some carpet from the office, floor exposed and a plastic chair mat near my old desk. So that, combined with me trying to get the phone, lead to my bruised ego.

Once I realized what had happened, I sat there for a while.

And the phone kept ringing.

Finally letting go of the newspaper bundle, I sat there hoping there was no actual pain coming from my body. Oh no I thought, almost a year to the day I tore my right meniscus on my way to the key executives mega conference in Florida.

Was this a sign that something was going to go wrong?

I know it’s silly to think a fall might change the course of life, and I laugh about it now, but that fall was so unexpected. One minute I am focused on answering that phone, next thing I know, I am on the floor covered in dust.

The phone stopped ringing and I was focused on myself now. No work, no writing, no moving the office, just me focused on me.

So was someone trying to tell me to slow down? Sure, my mom has been asking me not to forget to take a break once in a while, but this one sure came from up above.

I don’t usually discuss my religious beliefs, although I am very open on Facebook and Twitter about what I do everyday, I keep a lot of my life private.

Since the fall, I have been taking it slow, mostly because I am sore from the fall, feeling like I had a really good workout without stretching first.

It’s easy to forget that life is precious and we have to take care of ourselves. I am not a 20-something youngling anymore. I must slow down and remember to look up once in a while, even if from the floor of the office.

Have you ever been so busy, you forgot to stop and smell the flowers? Email me: